Wednesday, May 16, 2018

I Stand By The Door By Sam Shoemaker

Scott Stevens read this poem ("I Stand by the Door" by Sam Shoemaker) during his sermon on Sunday:


"I stand by the door.
I neither go too far in, nor stay too far out,
The door is the most important door in the world --
It is the door through which men walk when they find God.
There's no use going way inside, and staying there, 
When so many are still outside, and they, as much as I, 
Crave to know where the door is.
And all that so many ever find
Is the wall where the door ought to be.
They creep along the wall like blind men,
With outstretched, groping hands, 
Feeling for a door, knowing there must be a door, 
Yet they never find it ...
So I stand by the door. 
I admire the people who go way in. 
But I wish they would not forget how it was
Before they got in. Then they would be able to help
The people who have not even found the door,
Or the people who want to run away again from God.
You can go in too deeply, and stay in too long, 
And forget the people outside the door." 

No comments:

Post a Comment