Tuesday, February 7, 2017

You're A Weber Boy

Below is a story I've heard Coach Brandt repeat often. It's told by Stu Weber, former Green Beret and now pastor of a church in Portland, Oregon.
Grandpa and Grandma and I were seated in the kitchen nook, at the old, yellow Formica table, playing Parcheesi. To my frustration, I had fallen well behind in the game, and I was becoming desperate. The last thing a scruffy little boy would ever want to do is lose to his own grandma. So I cheated. And I got caught.
 
The game stopped. So did the chatter. My grandma turned her eyes to my grandpa, and the mood in the kitchen turned very serious. I felt my face getting hot. Grandpa dropped his glasses down to the tip of his nose, and he looked directly into my eyes. “Stu,” he said, “you’re a Weber boy. And Weber boys don’t lie, cheat, or steal.”
The story is about identity. Stu Weber is a Weber boy. And because he is a Weber boy, he must not lie, cheat and steal. His actions are rooted in his identity. 

Stu Weber goes on to talk about the impact that moment had on him later in life:
Twenty years later, when a superior officer in the Army directed me to falsify a report, I refused to lie. That night at the Formica table flashed through my mind, and I remembered my grandpa’s words: “Weber boys don’t lie, cheat, or steal.”
Later, quite apart from any initiative on my part, the inevitable investigation (which deception always breeds) was launched. Not only was my own name clean, but the senior commander actually commended me.

No comments:

Post a Comment