Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Iron Cowboy

I randomly watched Iron Cowboy: The Story of the 50.50.50 Triathlon on a bus trip a few weeks back and really liked it. It's "the true story of James Lawrence's herculean 50-day journey to complete 50 Ironman distances in 50 consecutive days in all 50 states as he redefines the limits of what is humanly possible." Here are a couple of my favorite quotes from the movie:

“It was a massive turning point in the journey because I was able to shed a lot of the pain, a lot of the excuses, a lot of the whining, the entitlement. This rebirth happened in Connecticut and from 30 on, I just made a very conscious decision that, look, I am not entitled, I am not complaining, I am here for a reason. And once I made that decision and I just owned what I was doing, my journey changed, the crew’s journey changed, the donations changed. It’s amazing how that one decision and that moment of complete vulnerability and desperation changed the direction of where we were going. It was like the alter ego Iron Cowboy was actually changed.” - James Lawrence

“It was an absolute nightmare, but it was crazy and, looking back, it was awesome. It was a totally character building. And I think that’s what people don’t like. Human beings believe that if things are hard, they’re wrong. They think that nothing should be hard. They don’t like adversity. They don’t like people with positive attitudes in the midst of adversity. Compromise and sacrifice don’t really exist. And they don’t ever see the reward of the refining fire.” - Sunny Lawrence (James' wife)

No comments:

Post a Comment